THE 2017 OPEN POETRY COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED
Please see click HERE for winners
CAFE WRITERS OPEN POETRY COMPETITION 2017
Closing Date 30th Nov 2017
2nd £300 3rd £200
Six Commended Prizes of £50
Funniest Poem £100
The Norfolk Prize £100
awarded to the best poem from a permanent Norfolk resident
not winning another prize
£4 per poem; or £10 for 3 poems and £2.00 per poem thereafter
Sole Judge: Liz Berry
Liz Berry’s debut collection, Black Country (Chatto & Windus, 2014), was a Poetry Book Society Recommendation, received a Somerset Maugham Award, won the Geoffrey Faber Memorial Award and won the Forward Prize for Best First Collection 2014. Black Country was chosen as a book of the year by The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Mail, The Big Issue and The Morning Star. Liz’s poems have been broadcast on BBC Radio, television and recorded for the Poetry Archive. She has been a judge for major prizes including The Forward Prizes for Poetry and Foyle Young Poets.
- Closing date for receipt of entries: 30th November 2017
- Maximum of 40 lines (excluding title) on one side of A4.
- The Prize is open to anyone other than Café Writers’ committee members.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published,self-published, published on any website or broadcast.
- We regret that entries cannot be returned.
- Entries must be your own original work and in English.
- No corrections can be made after receipt, nor fees refunded.
- Entries must show no name, address or identifying marks other than the title.
- Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author, but Café Writers will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning poems on its website and in press releases publicising the competition.
- The Funniest Poem is awarded to a poem not winning another prize.
- The Norfolk Prize is awarded to a permanent Norfolk resident, for a poem not winning another prize.
- The judge’s decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into.
Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the entry requirements will result in disqualification.
Fees & Prizes: See overleaf for details. Prizewinners will be notified in writing by 31st January 2018. The list of prizewinners will be displayed on the website after the prize-giving ceremony at Café Writers on 12th February 2018.
Receipt: Enclose a stamped addressed postcard marked ACKNOWLEDGEMENT or include your email address below and you will receive an email receipt.
Results: All entrants will receive an email notification of results, if email is provided.
To receive a print version, enclose a stamped addressed envelope marked: ‘RESULTS’.
Entries should be sent to: Café Writers Poetry Competition, 168a Silver Rd, Norwich NR3 4TH with a cheque payable to Café Writers or enter and pay online below using Paypal.
TO ENTER AND PAY ONLINE using Paypal:
Save your poems in a Word document or PDF, allowing only one poem per page and add as an attachment to a covering email which will include your name, address, email address and titles of your poems.
And please include no name, address or identifying marks (other than the poem’s title) to the attachment containing your poems.
As the subject heading to your email, please write your name and the title of the first poem in your attachment.
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org (please cut and paste this address to limit the amount of SPAM we receive)
You will be sent a receipt of your entry via email.
Please pay for online entries using Paypal here: