The 2016 Cafe Writers Poetry Competition is now closed.
To read the winning entries please click here: http://cafewriters.co.uk/home/poetry-competition/2016-winners/
CAFE WRITERS OPEN POETRY COMPETITION 2016
CLOSING DATE 30TH NOV 2016
2nd £300 3rd £200
Six Commended Prizes of £50
Funniest Poem not winning another prize £100
The Norfolk Prize £100
awarded to the best poem from a permanent Norfolk resident
not winning another prize
£4 per poem; or £10 for 3 poems and £2.00 per poem thereafter
Sole Judge: Andrew McMillan
Andrew McMillan was born in South Yorkshire in 1988: his debut collection Physical is the first ever poetry collection to win The Guardian First Book Award, it also won the Fenton Aldeburgh First Collection Prize, was short-listed for the Dylan Thomas Prize, the Costa Poetry Award, the Forward Prize for Best First Collection, the Roehampton Poetry Prize and long-listed for the Polari Prize; it won a 2014 Northern Writers’ Award, and both an Eric Gregory Award and a Somerset Maugham Award in 2016 from the Society of Authors. He lectures in Creative Writing at Liverpool John Moores University and lives in Manchester.
- Closing date for receipt of entries: 30th November 2016
- Maximum of 40 lines (excluding title) on one side of A4.
- The Prize is open to anyone other than Café Writers’ committee members.
- Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published, self-published, published on any web-site or broadcast.
- We regret that entries cannot be returned.
- Entries must be your own original work and in English.
- No corrections can be made after receipt, nor fees refunded.
- Entries must show no name, address or identifying marks other than the title.
- Worldwide copyright of each entry remains with the author, but Café Writers will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning poems on its web-site and in press releases publicising the competition.
- The judge’s decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into.Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the entry requirements will result in disqualification
Prizewinners will be notified in writing by 31st January 2017. The list of prizewinners will be displayed on the website after the prize-giving ceremony at Café Writers on 17th February 2017.
ENTER BY POST and pay by cheque: Download form for postal entries with full instructions on how to enter HERE:
ENTER AND PAY ONLINE using Paypal:
Save your poems in a Word document or PDF, allowing only one poem per page and add as an attachment to a covering email which will include your name, address, email address and titles of your poems.
And please include no name, address or identifying marks (other than the poem’s title) to the attachment containing your poems.
As the subject heading to your email, please write your name and the title of the first poem in your attachment.
Send to: email@example.com (please cut and paste this address to limit the amount of SPAM we receive)
You will be sent a receipt of your entry via email.
Please pay for online entries using Paypal here: